Thursday, March 13, 2008

Let it Be



Let it Be
by Lennon/McCartney

When the broken hearted people
Living in this world agree
There will be an answer
Let it be


My parents' house is like rehab for a broken heart. I’m the disoriented and defiant patient, my parents are the health professionals working around the clock to feed me spaghetti and snap me out of my self-pity. Like the properly wayward girl I am, I scoff at their methods. "Mom, your advice isn't the kind of support I need right now," I moan (I wanted a hug). But Moms, I hear, have this proactive tendency to hold the mirror up to your face and point out the destructive patterns you’ve had since you were a teenager and give you feasible advice as to how you can change. "Next time, get a guy with a career. And a car. That’s how you’ll know he’s ready to settle down. And why are you only happy when you have a boyfriend? Have you ever thought about learning to be happy by yourself? Is it because you’re an only child?" she says, like these questions haven’t already been tumbling around and around and around in my mind, to the point of sleeplessness and queasiness.

She’s right. I should get to the bottom of these questions and learn to make myself happier. It’s just easier said than done. I'm fully aware that I’m being a self-indulgent mope who should just pick myself up and decide to be over it. But lately my positive self-talk sounds as distant to me as the voice of god. Maybe it’s out there, echoing though the clouds, but I’ve no tangible evidence that anything was ever really said or heard.

And then I heard the song Let it Be. It’s amazing the random things that get through to you. All the good advice in the world can fall on deaf ears, but somehow this song of surrender permeates my soul. (Maybe I should worship the Beatles?) Yeah, quit over-thinking it, I said to myself. It’s not ‘sweeping it under the rug’ if you can muster the courage to wash your hands and forgive yourself for having been dirty in the past. That’s exactly what I resolve to do.

When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.


Thanks Mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home