Saturday, March 03, 2007

How a Lottery Scam Inspired an Even Stronger-Worded Letter

Last night I got an email from "UK online lottery."
Here's what it said:

The Lottery Company
P.O Box 789
Harrogate HG1 2YR
Ref: UK/9420X2/68
Batch: 074/05/ZY369

YOU HAVE WON 352,000 POUNDS STERLING

Attn: Winner,

You have won the sum of £352,000 (THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY TWO THOUSAND,POUNDS STERLING ) from BRITISH LOTTERY on our 2007 new year charity bonanza.

The winning ticket was selected from a Data Base of Internet E-mail Users,from which your Address came out as the winning coupon.

We hereby urge you to claim the winning amount quickly as this is a monthly lottery. Failure to claim your win will result into the reversion of the fund to our following month.

You are therefore requested to contact immediately our Claims Department below quoting winning number: LOTTERY NUMER:05-08-10-18-20-46-{43}.

Contact Person: Barrister Morrison Fisher
email: barristermorrisfisher@yahoo.co.uk
PHONE: +44-701-113-8636
+44-704-570-1165

Congratulations once again.
please quote your lottery number.

Regards,

Mrs. Rose Carl.
Online coordinator for UK NATIONAL LOTTERY
Sweepstakes International Program.


So for shits and giggles I went ahead and sent them my reference number. Here's how they replied:


P.O Box 789
Harrogate HG1 2YR
Ref: UK/9420X2/68
Batch: 074/05/ZY369

OUR REF: 27349/46

Attn: Winner,

I am Barr. Morrison Fisher, I have been assigned by United Kingdom National Lottery to process your payment file. I wish to congratulate you on your winnings. The winning information presented by you has been verified.

Meanwhile as for now everything seem to be working in your favour, all that we require from you now, is your maximum cooperation for smooth transfer of your money through paying bank, swift transfer or courier delivery of cashier’s cheque depends on how you want it redeemed to you . You are required to fill out the claims processing form below and return to us for proper verification.

UNITED KINGDOM AWARD VERIFICATION FORM:

==================================================
FULLNAME:....................................................................
FORWARDING ADDRESSE:.........................................................
CITY/STATE:....................... COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:.......................
MARITAL STATUS:..................... NATIONALITY..............SEX...........
DATE OF BIRTH:.................
TEL/FAX NR: .........................OCCUPATION:..........................
CURRENT EMAIL:....................
===================================================
Upon the receipt of the dually filled claims form, I will notify the British Gaming Board (BGB), so as to give approval to our paying bank or Courier Company, the permission to make the transfer or deliver your winning cheque/winning certificate. You should send us your personal contact phone number so the bank or courier company can contact you by phone or email.

Congratulations, once again.

Best Regards,

Barr. Morrison Fisher.
Phone number: +44701 113 8636
Foreign Services Manager,
Payment and Release order Department,
TRANS-ATLANTIC S.A LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Copyright © 1994-2007 The UK National Lottery Inc.
All rights reserved. Terms of Service - Guideline


After a quick Google search that confirmed my suspicion that these guys were fishy, I replied:


The Too Smart to be Duped By You Company
P.O. Box 666
Canada 666 666
Ref: 666
Batch: 666
Contact person: Satan
BarristerDoctorSatan@yahoo.com

Attn: Winner,

Congratulations! You're going to hell! Your name was chosen off the top of my head in the Royal Annual Let's-See-Which-Scam-Artist-I-Want-To-Call-Out Bonanza!

Now in all seriousness, I will publish your fraudulent email on my blog to notify as many people as possible that you're a bunch of wankers. I will also notify the gaming and lottery boards involved to protect people from being fooled by your evil bullshit.

Furthermore, no real barrister would ever send emails containing such bad grammar, spelling mistakes, and poorly constructed sentences. Maybe instead of ripping people off for a living, you should go back to school, Kiddo!

Once again Congratulations! And by that I mean fuck you.

Unkindest Regards,

Her Highness Doctor Researcher Barrister J.S. Ballbuster Esq.

BarristerDoctorSatan@yahoo.com

22 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you make me really happy. :)

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You are truly a crusader for the common good. I commend you my dear lady. Keep it up!

 
At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DUDE! write some more.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Tejas said...

Hi Julia,
I am Tejas from India and nice to be writing to you.
Nice work there.....hey guess what, I got the same mail but from barrister Smith D Brian this time with the same contact number ....just put in the telephone number in google and found ur blog....LOL......the best part is hes soo lazy that he couldnt even change the winning number...LOL....guess we have the same ticket...oh yeah I got a virtual 500,000 pounds.That makes me happy....LOL.Thanks for saving my time,
Cheers,
Tejas

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Julia..this is Sherry from India..Thanks for putting this scam in the blog.
I too got an email from the same person as Tejas did!! Barrister Smith D Brian..

 
At 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shucks, it seems I'm going to have to share my half-million pounds. The UKLottery computer must have a bug if it comes up with the same numbers in March '07 & '08. Swiss authorities tax winnings at 35%, so I don't think I'll bother to claim.
Guy from Geneva, Switzerland

 
At 2:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

viagra soft tabs buy viagra without prescription viagra overnight women does viagra work cheap generic viagra viagra faq viagra lawyers bad side effects of viagra viagra price how does viagra work viagra from canada cheapest uk supplier viagra viagra soft tabs fda on viagra

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , perhaps very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct companion utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://butunapoh.freecities.com/aqujys.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

 
At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct partner who uses your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ynizihom.builtfree.org/ofyqib.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello I'd like to congratulate you for such a great quality site!
I was sure this is a perfect way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Sage Brand
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/safari-party-supplies.html]safari Party Supplies[/url].

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello everyone!
I would like to burn a theme at this forum. There is such a nicey, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of financial piramyde, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For several years , I make money with the help of these programs.
I'm with no money problems now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I get now up to 2G a day , and my first investment was 500 dollars only.
Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Visit my blog to get additional info.

[url=http://theinvestblog.com] Online investment blog[/url]

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/logo.png[/img][/url]

מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - שירות חדרים אנחנו מציעים שירותי אירוח מיוחדים גם יש במקום שירות חדרים המכיל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]אחרוחות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מפתיעים אשר יוגשו ישירות לחדרכם!

לפרטים נא גשו לאתר האינטרנט שלנו - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in large initial investment.
Now, I feel good, I begin take up real money.
It's all about how to select a correct companion who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the income with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

 
At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's nice sound, all right, fine

 
At 4:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am ever so sorry!
---------------------------------------------------------
Signature:buy levitra professional online hnv

 
At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look!
---------------------------------------------------------
Signature:order lipitor bwsut
lexapro hophl

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I'd like to congratulate you for such a terrific quality site!
I was sure this would be a perfect way to make my first post!
The only right way gain property it is usually a clever conception to start a savings or investing system as soon in life as possible. But don't fear if you have not began saving your assets until later on in life. With honest work, that is reading up on the best investment vehicles for your money you can slowly but surely increase your funds so that it adds up to a big sum by the period you want to retire. Watch all of the achievable asset classes from stocks to real estate as investments for your money. A researched and diversified portfolio of investments in various asset classes may help your money multiply throughout the years.

-Clare Grafton
[url=http://urwealthy.com]currency conversion [/url]

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. My wife and I bought our house about 6 months ago. It was a foreclosure and we were able to get a great deal on it. We also took advantage of the 8K tax credit so that definitely helped. We did an extensive remodeling job and now I want to refinance to cut the term to a 20 or 15 year loan. Does anyone know any good sites for mortgage information? Thanks!

Mike

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to greet you, ladies and gentlemen!

We are not acquainted yet? It’s easy to fix,
friends call me Peter.
Generally I’m a venturesome analyst. recently I take a great interest in online-casino and poker.
Not long time ago I started my own blog, where I describe my virtual adventures.
Probably, it will be interesting for you to read my notes.
Please visit my web page . http://allbestcasino.com I’ll be interested on your opinion..

 
At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi everybody!

Sure, you’ve heard about me, because my fame is running in front of me,
my parents call me James F. Collins.
Generally I’m a social gmabler. recently I take a great interest in online-casino and poker.
Not long time ago I started my own blog, where I describe my virtual adventures.
Probably, it will be interesting for you to read my notes.
Please visit my web page . http://allbestcasino.com I’ll be interested on your opinion..

 
At 11:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello

Finally you can sell your used and new products FREE on the new advance http://www.BuySellDirect.net


http://www.BuySellDirect.net is 100% FREE for all

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello all

[url=http://www.internetmosque.net ] Compared Translations of the meaning of the Quran [/url]


"How did he become a prophet and a messenger of God?"

At the age of 40, while engaged in a meditative retreat, Muhammad received his first revelation from God through the Angel Gabriel. This revelation, which continued for twenty-three years, is known as the Quran.

As soon as he began to recite the words he heard from Gabriel, and to preach the truth which God had revealed to him, he and his small group of followers suffered bitter persecution, which grew so fierce that in the year 622 God gave them the command to emigrate. This event, the Hijra, 'migration', in which they left Makkah for the city of Madinah some 260 miles to the north, marks the beginning of the Muslim calendar.

After several years, the Prophet (SAW) and his followers were able to return to Makkah, where they forgave their enemies and established Islam definitively. Before the Prophet (SAW) died at the age of 63, the greater part of Arabia was Muslim, and within a century of his death Islam had spread to Spain in the West and as far East as China.


For more details [url=http://www.internetmosque.net ]click her[/url]






|

All of us will die one day INCLUDING YOU.

so before you die you must find out where the HELL you are going too.

You must find out

who is our savior Jesus or ?

You may sleep tonight and never get up in the morning?

You may die today.

You may die within a week

You may die within a month

you may die within a year

you may die within the next ten years

one thing for sure

You will die

so find out how is our savior so that he may save you.

http://www.internetmosque.net/saviour/index.htm

http://www.internetmosque.net/songes/s/1.htm

http://www.internetmosque.net/songes/s/17.htm

http://www.internetmosque.net/

http://www.internetmosque.net/quran/quraneng/index.htm

http://www.internetmosque.net/audio...n_Yahya/1_w.htm

http://www.internetmosque.net/audio...f-Estes/1_w.htm

http://www.internetmosque.net/audio...ilips/1-1_w.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home