Happy Birthday Jules

If I ever become one of those sour pusses who wail and moan on their birthday, please ensure I don’t live to see my next one.
What’s the point of being sour to the fact that you’ve made it as far as you have? Even though your career or your love life or whatever might not be as developed as you thought it would be by this age, be grateful for the fact that you made it here at all. It’s a luxury to be able to celebrate yourself. Getting down on yourself for having experienced another year is like trading a diamond for a lump of coal.
Me, I’m extra lucky. Yesterday (my birthday) started like any other day of the year. I went to work and felt the usual mid-afternoon stress-fatigue. But then I left the Hall and went to Heather’s where I was wined and dined and showered with gifts. My belly full of cheese, fruits, nuts, paté and bacon-wrapped fillet mignon, I left Heather’s feeling grateful for her friendship and awestruck by the pink, foggy sunset that draped the city like a gift from god.
Back at work, I was further spoiled by my coworkers. I was given free catering food, a box of chocolates, a surprise gift in my locker, an other gift on the change room, a dozen hugs AND it was even suggested that I quit wiping the tables cause ‘it’s my birthday…I shouldn’t have to do anything’!
After our shift, a bunch of us went to the Rivoli where, unfortunately, the birthday gods didn’t make me any better at pool. But I loved having my peeps together, including a special man who came to celebrate my birthday regardless of his job interview the next day.
The phone calls and Facebook messages made me feel truly loved. And it doesn’t stop there! My special day continues throughout next week. A dinner party with my girls tomorrow, dinner with Mom and Dad Sunday, and another dinner Thursday.
Not everyone is this lucky. I’m proud for being clever enough to acknowledge it. Maybe it’s a cleverness that can only come with age. Now 27, I’m more self-actualized and calm than I was ten years ago when I was supposedly going through my “carefree” teens. I sweat and cried buckets back then cause I just didn’t know how to deal with anything! But now I know what I like and what kind of person I want to be. I can identify what makes me happy and what doesn’t. Number one on the list of things that make me happy is true connections with people who love me. Yet again this year, my birthday brought out that love. Thanks everyone!


1 Comments:
Thank you for making me remember what is most important in life...friends and people who DO love me. We all to quickly as humans dwell on the things that we don't have and our failures.
I am honoured to be your friend.
Post a Comment
<< Home