Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Denied!

Last Saturday I motioned to a short-skirted girl across the street and said, “Snatcherella looks cold.” My date didn’t acknowledge my vulgarity. I thought he hadn’t heard me over the excited voices of GTA-ers on their way to the clubs. “Hey, look, she’s snatcheriffic!” Again, nothing. And so, with no humour between us, I decided to not see this guy again.

Now I find myself analyzing the art form of Painless Rejection. The Humourless guy is one of several fellows I’ve been dating. Another guy is secretive and fishy (my guess: married) and in the other case the plane just didn’t leave the tarmac. But the thought of having to muster enough courage to give them all the “let’s just be friends” talk makes me want to barf. Even the overused white lie of “just being friends” gives me the willies. And then there’s the variables like, where to stage the let-down (restaurants = too public. My place = too private), anticipating and avoiding grotesque emotions, and what my script will be:

I think you’re great, but…
I’ve enjoyed spending time with you, however…
I’m going through a selfish stage, therefore…

The truth is, all I want to do is neglect to phone anyone back and avoid the mess. But that feels like sneaking out the back door — made worse when So-And-So follows you out the back door, so to speak, to leave forlorn messages on your phone asking if you’re OK cause he hasn’t heard from you in awhile. Yeesh.

I’m left pondering the age-old question: when is it still OK to not phone back? What is the point of no return? Let’s say you had three fine dates with a fine person. There hadn’t been any physical or emotional intimacy, but you had a few laughs until the point — and there’s always a point — that it all went south. How do you break it off in a dignified, painless manner? Don’t say, “Tell him the truth!” cause you and I both know that the truth isn’t usually an appropriate thing to be spilling to someone you’ve only hung out with a handful of times. Coming out and admitting to a person that you find them joyless, short, and nasal is overkill. Save the painful truth for mofos who deserve it.

Simultaneously, I’m wondering how to get a certain fellow off of my mind. This is someone I actually like, but can’t have. So how do you break from someone who makes you ache with desire when, secretly, you don’t want to break from them because your inner masochist says unrequited feelings are stylish. Oh I know, you tell them you’ll be “just friends” so you can continue hanging out with them and, whenever opportunity permits, you can get away with touching them on the sweet sweet elbow, like the pathetic worm you are.

Why are there no easy answers? I feel like if I just brainstorm hard enough, I could come up with a simple solution but — Alas!


P.S. Wow I need a new hobby. Boys are tiresome, brain-scrambling, beasts. Permaps I’ll take up gardening and dedicate this blog to the moral issues of pesticides v. organics. Wouldn’t that be refreshing for us all.

3 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The other day, I sat across the lunch room table from my middle aged, salt and pepper haired grade 1 teaching crush. There was talk of the 'new show in town' featuring Sonja Smits of 'Traders' semi-fame.
"How is Smits in that?" I did it! I made conversation! No longer am I merely a student teacher, but an equal! Soon we'll be talking about books, then students, then....politics!
"She's great. The part suits her. The guy however, he was just playing for laughs." he replies. Now he's looking at me. I retreat to my soup.
But there is so much I could have said! I could have mentioned how I saw Smits in a play years back in Toronto; that I thought she was wooden on stage and was involved in a clandestine agreement with Tarragon Theatre; that her appearance was solely to get bums in seats while she padded her credibility with pudgy stagework. The conversation would progress to a discussion on the Chomskian underpinings of contemporary Canadian theatre; how we are all just one exeunt away from an anarchist revolution (the dreamers anyway). We would then finish our hot apple cidar (provided by the parent volunteers) and he would carry me in his arms to the equipment room in the gym--confident that the principal was away on lunch and had the only other key--and make mad love to me.
But no, my intellect, my libido, and my heart retreated and I fished the bayleaf out of my soup. I watched as it layed there on my napkin; the lentils drained from it like my courage and intellect drained from me that day. I'm sick of lentil soup.

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the Victorians were onto something...not being able to act on their wildest desires made them romantics. So, keep lusting, keep romanticising...

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Jules said...

UPDATE

Even Wonder Woman can’t dissuade or attract all the men in one fell swoop. So in the end, I decided it's best to deal with life on a case-by-case basis:

I had one date with the Possibly Married Guy. He called me (and blocked his number...just to be fishy-like). I didn't phone him back.

The Great Guy and I had a dignified conversation in which I outlined my inability to commit right now, so we mutually agreed to be friends. No fuss, no muss.

As for the Joyless Guy, I told him things have become serious with someone else I've been seeing. Although it was just a white lie, I'll still go to hell for disappointing him.

And the Someone Else I WANT to be seeing (but am NOT seeing, on account of I can't have him)...I've backed off entirely cause he's probably not worth the emo turmoil, inspiring and romantic as it may be.

In conclusion, I think I'll just be alone for awhile and get my kicks reading Jane Austen novels instead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home